Are ES6 modules in browsers going to get loaded level-by-level?

John Barton johnjbarton at google.com
Thu Apr 23 14:43:53 UTC 2015

Correct, ES6 has no plans for a bundling solution and the whatwg group
working on the loader has not proposed one.

Nevertheless  bundling solution is easier to build and specify. In ES6,
given a root module you can compute the (static) dependency graph as the
basis for creating a bundle.  The bundle will be complete and -- if the
code has no unnecessary imports -- minimal.  Moreover, the unnecessary
imports can be determined by parser analysis alone.

Since bundling includes issues of transport,  compression, and
minification, I suspect that a standard may not emerge any time soon.
Rather I expect a few tools to emerge and these will become de facto
standards for bundling.

jjb