Putting `global` reference in specs

Andrea Giammarchi andrea.giammarchi at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 16:05:53 UTC 2015

I've never said unshadowable ... I am saying that `global` should be a
global reference to the global object which is mentioned in ES6/2015 but
it's not specified how it should be referenced. `window` is not welcome
even in DOM tools like browserify, `global` is ubiquitous in its meaning,
it does not confuse anyone like a `self` in node.js or others would do, and
it will solve forever the hassle of referencing *by deafault* a global
object without needing to eval, Function('return this'), [].sort(), or
whatever wizardy you coudl came up to retrieve and/or reference the global
object.

It's deadly simple: whatever freedom implementors have to put window and/or
self in, they MUST put a `global` reference too ... that will make
everything else redundant, in the long term, and not vice-versa

Is this really that complicated to ship?