forward-incompatible Function.prototype.toString requirement

Frankie Bagnardi f.bagnardi at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 14:13:54 UTC 2015

I just meant that it seems confusing that it can both produce a
FunctionExpression
and "return a string for which eval will throw a SyntaxError exception."

I didn't mean to highjack this thread; the concern in the original email is
noteworthy.  There should be recommended syntaxes which future versions of
the spec agree not to break, including current browser implementations.
This gives any future engines, or modifications to current engines a
clearly defined acceptable way to format these strings.

This also gives libraries which parse functions at runtime (despite how
good of an idea this is) quick bail cases without using eval.  Examples of
this are angular and require.js.