the Great Tooling Revolution

Michael Dyck jmdyck at ibiblio.org
Wed Apr 8 17:08:34 UTC 2015

On 15-04-08 12:19 PM, Domenic Denicola wrote:
> This was discussed briefly at the previous meeting, perhaps un-minuted.

The meeting notes for Jan 29th have a section where ecmarkup/down is
introduced and discussed somewhat, but there's no decision regarding its use.

> The basic plan is to develop the spec on GitHub, using [Ecmarkup] and
> [Ecmarkdown]. It will take pull requests, have a master branch that you
> can view (and implementers should view, to see any bug fixes made since
> the Ecma version), etc.

Cool. That should improve some processes.

> Brian did a prototype conversion a while back, based on an older draft
> and an older dialect of Ecmarkup (no Ecmarkdown); you can find that at
> https://github.com/bterlson/ecmascript. I believe the current status it
> that we're waiting for the "final" GA-submitted version before doing the
> real conversion, since Allen is making editorial tweaks and bug-fixes up
> until the deadine. Once that's done we'll use some mutated version of
> Jason's [converter] and start iterating and tweaking from there.

I'll probably volunteer to check the result, since I have a converter that's
independent of Jason's. (It starts with the PDF rather than the docx.)

> Unlike the current process, the post-ES2015 spec process requires two
> shipping implementations before a feature is integrated into the spec.
> While we're waiting for that, we anticipate proposal documents to
> prepare for integration by being written as Ecmarkup/Ecmarkdown spec
> deltas,

So not as git branches of the spec?

-Michael