last value from iterator

Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at wirfs-brock.com
Sun Apr 5 16:40:36 UTC 2015

On Apr 5, 2015, at 6:04 AM, Mark Volkmann wrote:

> I thought that when an iterator returns done: true, the value should not be used.

Why do you think that?  The definition of the IteratorResult interface in the the ES6 spec. doesn't say that.

> However, if a generator function ends by returning a value, done will be true when that value is returned and the value should be used.

Could be used.  Whether a generator or any Iterator provides a meaningful value when it reach the the 'done' state depends upon its specific definition.

> Given this, how can a consumer know the correct way to handle the value when done is true? Clearly consumers shouldn't have to be aware of whether the iterator is actually a generator and whether it ends by returning a value.

An Iterator does not have to be a generator to provide a 'done' state value.  In general, If you are going to do anything other than basic iteration, such as is performed by for-of, you need to know about the specific Iterator you are using.

Allen