Maximally minimal stack trace standardization

Nick Fitzgerald fitzgen at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 05:18:45 PDT 2014

I remember web compat concerns, but if Chrome is exposing the `//#
sourceURL` to the web in error stacks, maybe we can get away with it
as well. I'd defer to jorendorff's opinion on this.

We've also discussed exposing the source mapped location of stack
frames to JS, but that's even trickier:

* We don't do any source mapping unless devtools are open, so exposing
this would leak whether the user is using devtools or not. Not sure
how serious that is, but it makes me hesitant. On the other hand,
always source mapping seems impractical, but maybe that's a false
assumption.

* It is a nonstarter to block JS on fetching a source map, so early
stack traces would not be source mapped, while later ones would be.
This sort of non-determinism makes me feel :( We could introduce a new
async method for getting stacks and only source map for these async
stacks (or make the new method that other branches of this thread are
discussing async).

Interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on this.

Cheers,

_Nick_