Maximally minimal stack trace standardization

Jason Orendorff jason.orendorff at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 15:37:54 PDT 2014

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 4:06 PM, Allen Wirfs-Brock
<allen at wirfs-brock.com> wrote:
> On Sep 29, 2014, at 1:41 PM, Jason Orendorff wrote:
>> Function.prototype.apply, Function.prototype.call, and Reflect.apply
>> currently call PrepareForTailCall. Is this a bug?
>
> No, I don't believe so.  Built-ins (whether implemented in ES or native) are specified to have an "execution context".

Oh, I see! Thanks. (This is specified in 9.3.1 [[Call]], for anyone
following along.)

But in this case, the spec already has some non-ECMAScript functions
performing tail calls, so now I am at a loss as to what your earlier
line to Brendan could mean:

> I can't imagine what you would want be to try to say about non-EMCAScript functions. Their internal "call" semantics is determined by the semantics of their implementation language.

It seems like to the full extent that the current draft manages to
constrain Function.prototype.call, it could constrain bound functions
too.

-j