Event loops in navigated-away-from windows

Anne van Kesteren annevk at annevk.nl
Mon Sep 29 14:08:13 PDT 2014

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 8:18 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> I certainly wouldn't object to the ES spec's event loop algorithms being
> turned inside out (search for "RunCode" on the esdiscuss thread above for
> an e-mail where I propose this) but that would be purely an editorial
> change, it wouldn't change the implementations.

The proposed setup from Allen will start failing the moment ECMAScript
wants something more complicated with its loop. At that point you'll
have to propose another set of hacks to make the integration with HTML
work again. And given this integration is so weird, I doubt
implementations will match it as written. Seems more likely they'll
implement the more straightforward alternative.

(Also, the proposed setup does seem to require exactly that kind of
mental integration I was worried about. With HTML hijacking the ES
loop to do its bidding.)

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/