Maximally minimal stack trace standardization

Jason Orendorff jason.orendorff at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 13:41:19 PDT 2014

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 3:02 PM, Allen Wirfs-Brock
<allen at wirfs-brock.com> wrote:
> I can't imagine what you would want be to try to say about non-EMCAScript
> functions. Their internal "call" semantics is determined by the semantics of
> their implementation language.

Function.prototype.apply, Function.prototype.call, and Reflect.apply
currently call PrepareForTailCall. Is this a bug?

I can see that the current language in 14.6.3 PrepareForTailCall only
covers "tail position calls" and "resources associated with the
currently executing function execution context", but what's wrong with
copying that sentence into 19.2.3.3 and changing it to refer to "the
internal method call in the last step of the above algorithm" and
"resources associated with the current call to
Function.prototype.call"?

The spec constrains the behavior of builtins in all kinds of ways,
regardless of what language they're written in. I don't understand
what is special about stack space usage that makes it off-limits.

-j