Maximally minimal stack trace standardization

Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at wirfs-brock.com
Mon Sep 29 10:44:09 PDT 2014

On Sep 29, 2014, at 9:23 AM, Mark S. Miller wrote:

> Although we would both like to see function.caller gone as well, we are also both much more skeptical that this is possible. Let's assume that it is not. The conclusion that follows is only that sloppy calls to sloppy functions can't be TCOed away. That is in any case what we've been assuming. That's why, IIRC (haven't checked lately), TCO is only specified for calls from non-sloppy functions.

Actually, TCO is only specified for calls from strict mode ECMAScript functions.

The only place the distinction between strict and non-sloppy is really significant is WRT built-in functions.  Standard built-ins are allowed to be implemented either as strict ECMAScript functions or in some implementation defined manner (ie, using some other programming language).  If the latter is the case,  we don't really have any say over their internal call semantics, etc.

Allen