Maximally minimal stack trace standardization

Sam Tobin-Hochstadt samth at cs.indiana.edu
Mon Sep 29 09:14:49 PDT 2014

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 10:55 AM, John Lenz <concavelenz at gmail.com> wrote:

> I really have no idea what the behavior should be in the faces of optimized
> tail calls (which is must broader than simply self recursive methods that
> can be rewritten as a loop).   I've seen various suggestions (a capped call
> history) but I'm curious how efficient functional languages deal with this.

Different functional languages do a variety of things here:

- simply show the current stack, without the functions that made tail
calls (this is probably the most common)
- have a bounded buffer for stack traces
- implement tail calls via a trampoline; this has the side-effect that
the stack has "recent" tail calls in it already

I'm sure there are other choices here that people have made.

Sam