Maximally minimal stack trace standardization

Filip Pizlo fpizlo at apple.com
Sat Sep 27 22:53:59 PDT 2014

I would also like to see this standardized. Comments inline.

> On Sep 27, 2014, at 10:15 PM, John Lenz <concavelenz at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I would like to get see stack traces standardized for ES7, to that end, I would like to define a minimal set of behaviors that would need to be defined:
>
> * the "stack" property (a string)
> * when the stack property is attached (at Error object creation or at throw)
> * what happens when Error object that has been thrown, is thrown again (nothing)
> * the stack trace in the face of tail recursion optimizations (skipped?)

Is that really necessary?  If so, can you say something about the motivation?

You can do some tail recursion optimizations while preserving the stack trace. For example if you call yourself recursively and the JIT turns it into a loop, then all you need is the loop trip count to recover the original stack trace.

> * the minimal information that a stack trace should contain (file, line, column)
> * the format of the minimal information
> * how additional information is added to the stack trace (named evals, etc)
>
> Does this sound like a reasonable minimal set?

+1