Function.arguments in JSC

John Lenz concavelenz at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 21:51:24 PDT 2014

I took a look at Google's internal code index for reference to
Function.prototype.arguments and turned up many references to it
(PhpMyAdmin, some Intel benchmark, some internal code, etc).  This is only
code used internally at Google (or was at one time) and not by any means
an index of the entire web, but it does use the Closure Compiler and type
information to accurately find references.  These are not just simply
references to an "arguments" property but are references to the "arguments"
property off of objects know to be functions.    These references roughly
(from my quick perusal), were about 50% were V8 or similar unit tests, 25%
references that could be trivially replaced with a reference to the active
function's "arguments" variable, and 25% were doing something tricky
 (Function.caller.arguments, someevent.handler.arguments).

I'm sure you didn't expect that there would be zero breakage, but I wanted
to give you a heads up that there might be more than you expect.