Efficient 64 bit arithmetic

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Wed Sep 24 14:37:41 PDT 2014

Hi Fabrice,

Thanks for the proposal, I ran it by TC39 yesterday and it advanced to
stage 0. This means work getting to stage 1, per:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QbEE0BsO4lvl7NFTn5WXWeiEIBfaVUF7Dk0hpPpPDzU/edit

The committee liked it not only for emulating int64 and uint64 more
efficiently (e.g., for Emscripten), even though we intend to support
int64 and uint64 value objects, but also for bignum emulation (using
64-bit "bigits" or "big digits", h/t Mark Miller), decimal emulation, etc.

This gist

https://gist.github.com/BrendanEich/4294d5c212a6d2254703

is based on your original post, but with a name change suggested by
several on TC39: imuluh => umulh.

Feedback welcome. Thanks again for suggesting this -- thanks to @mraleph
for his earlier proposal too.