arrow functions and dart

Rick Waldron waldron.rick at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 15:19:38 PDT 2014

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 5:18 PM, Francisco Ferreira <
francisco.m.s.ferreira at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just to set some expectations, Although I follow es-discuss, I read more
> than I discuss. So the point I want to achieve with this e-mail is:
>
> I have played with dart since it was in alpha. And I also have been coding
> with --harmony for a while. I would like to comment that arrow functions in
> dart are much better than in ES6 (mozilla implementation).
>
> Let's compare
>
> In JS:
> anObject.thatGetsACallback( (arg1, arg2) => { .... } );
>
> In dart:
> anObject.thatGetsACallback( (arg1, arg2) { .... } );

Sure, but that syntax cannot be used outside of call expression arguments.
I had a proposal in 2011 (https://gist.github.com/rwaldron/961495) that
fell down on this hazard:

var x = 1;
f = (x)
{ x }

...Which is a valid JavaScript program today, which means that `(params){
body }` cannot parse unambiguously.

Rick