Idea for Strawman: separate the core standard library itself into modules

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Mon Sep 22 14:09:44 PDT 2014

Isiah Meadows wrote:
> Transitioning the native API to modules is more of a proposed long
> term goal of this proposal. It'll take years to fully realize.

True, and I don't see a shortcut. Do you?

Having TC39 rush something designed by champions and ratified by
committee but without any developers or engine implementors actually
chewing on it for months is very risky. We'd regret doing anything like
that, you would too.

It makes me want to see github projects cooperating and competing on
this challenge. It's not trivial or easy enough that I think a small
group should have to get it right in a constrained schedule and testing
network.