Idea for Strawman: separate the core standard library itself into modules

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Mon Sep 22 10:17:54 PDT 2014

Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> OnMon, Sep 22, 2014  at 9:04 AM,  Domenic Denicola
> <domenic at domenicdenicola.com>  wrote:
>> >  From: es-discuss [mailto:es-discuss-bounces at mozilla.org] On Behalf Of Isiah Meadows
>> >
>> >  Anything that breaks backward compatibility will not have a chance, realistic or otherwise,*ever*.
>
> To square this with Matthew's response, the original idea was to
> *also*  expose the core functionality as modules, to give you the
> ability to grab "clean" versions of any standard functions you wanted,
> while the preexisting global versions would still be there.

Right!

Isaih, this is good news: you can't insist on removing stuff, but if you
put the cleanups and better organization in new clothes, the old drab
ones will fade into disuse (even if they don't ever go away).

This is kind of a "law of the Web." It turns out compat does break, and
no one notices (much), over very long timeframes. At least, we saw this
going from the early Web to the modern days, with a few things (corner
cases in JS and CSS table layout). But these were never predictable, or
major.

With strict-by-default modules, we can hope for 'with' to whither away
over a decade. I wouldn't bet on it, since strict mode is still opt-in
and will be for <script>, forever.