new instantiation design alternatives

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Tue Sep 16 12:57:47 PDT 2014

Allen Wirfs-Brock wrote:
> We have long standing consensus on the current ES6 class design and
> that includes a `super()` constructor call that can be arbitrarily
> placed within the constructor body.

I'm ok with consensus if it's real and strong. We aren't there yet, and
AFAIK we never had cow-path-based use-cases for super calls tucked into
the middle of constructors. We definitely had concerns about
uninitialized objects, and people wanted to deal with constructor called
as function. But conditional super()? I don't remember that.