new instantiation design alternatives

Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at wirfs-brock.com
Tue Sep 16 09:03:05 PDT 2014

On Sep 15, 2014, at 5:10 PM, Brendan Eich wrote:

> Allen Wirfs-Brock wrote:
>
>> But feel free to propose and champion a complete alternative propos that address all aspects of object instantiation design. That's probably a better approach than trying to incrementally change details of a coherent design until it is something completely different.
>
> Nope, you haven't got TC39 consensus, or near that, yet. So playing a "champion a different proposal" power move is risky, and makes it look like you can't adapt from championed (but not use-case-frequency-sorted) proposal to something *even better*.

We have long standing consensus on the current ES6 class design and that includes a `super()` constructor call that can be arbitrarily placed within the constructor body.  We had the discussion about an other forms forms of super constructor invocation, including special header forms, before reaching that consensus.

The motivating issue for the current discussion is that @@create can expose uninitialized instances, not whether we should move super constructor invocation into special declaration header form. Unless it directly relates to the solution of the @@create discussion I don't think we should be dropping our consensus on other aspects of the design.

Allen