new instantiation design alternatives

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Thu Sep 11 15:38:31 PDT 2014

Claude Pache wrote:
> Le 12 sept. 2014 à 00:03, Brendan Eich<brendan at mozilla.org>  a écrit :
>
>> >  Ob. bikeshed: why not `new?` as the magic pair of tokens? Seems unambiguous given `new` as a reserved identifier since dayone.
>
> If one day we introduce the so-called existential operator `foo?.bar`, it will be quite confusing to already have `new?.constructor` for something else.

Hah, I should have read ahead. You're right we were considering foo?.bar
here:

http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:existential_operator

I wrote that and championed it. But I probably forgot about it ten
minutes ago when replying to Allen, because it seemed to fail for good
at past TC39 meetings:

http://esdiscuss.org/topic/sept-18-tc39-meeting-notes#content-2

(search for "non-starter").

Then you rallied in this thread: