new instantiation design alternatives

Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at wirfs-brock.com
Thu Sep 11 15:17:20 PDT 2014

On Sep 11, 2014, at 3:03 PM, Brendan Eich wrote:

> Ob. bikeshed: why not `new?` as the magic pair of tokens? Seems unambiguous given `new` as a reserved identifier since dayone.
>
> /be

"new?" would be fine,.  Actually better.  But we shied away from it, so as to not impinge upon future use of "?".  Even if there was no lexical ambiguity there might be conceptual confusion with some future usage.

But, if there is a general willingness to to use "?", I'd be all for it.

BTW, "new^" (other whatever) is intended to be a single token, not a pair of tokens.

Allen