ES6 Loader proposed changes

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Sep 11 15:10:59 PDT 2014

On Thu, 11 Sep 2014, Brendan Eich wrote:

> It may be that you have to keep compatibility, which means larger API
> surface over time, new more-unified and old less-unified subsystems
> coexisting. That's how the Web has grown in other areas. Original DOM
> didn't reflect all elements; in the '90s things evolved in layers.

I don't really understand what this would look like for the ES6 loader.
Would we have different hooks for each kind of module? Or...?

> Nevertheless if you can't get implementors on side, that's a strong
> signal.

Indeed. I don't really mind either way, for the record; I really assumed
(in part from talking with Chrome people and others in #whatwg) that this
was an obvious win and would be uncontroversial, especially with the
recent focus on explaining the platform via ES-exposed primitives.

Obviously for me it'd be a lot simpler if we didn't integrate things like
this; it would let me spec a dependency system people are asking for for
subresources of HTML documents without having to worry about integrating
with CSS and ES6. :-)