ES6 Loader proposed changes

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Thu Sep 11 14:52:53 PDT 2014

Ian Hickson wrote:

>> >  I think it must be a non-goal for competing browser vendors. For a new
>> >  browser, esp. bootstrapped in JS, it's a no-brainer.
>> >
>> >  This suggest going bottom-up, not top-down: try to unify two, then
>> >  three, subsystems. Don't multiply risk of independent events into a tiny
>> >  odds ratio.
>
> I don't understand how to do this in a backwards-compatible way.

It may be that you have to keep compatibility, which means larger API
surface over time, new more-unified and old less-unified subsystems
coexisting. That's how the Web has grown in other areas. Original DOM
didn't reflect all elements; in the '90s things evolved in layers.

Nevertheless if you can't get implementors on side, that's a strong signal.