ES6 Loader proposed changes

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Sep 11 13:20:42 PDT 2014

On Thu, 11 Sep 2014, Brendan Eich wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
> > I must admit though that while I initially assumed that this would be an
> > obvious goal that browser vendors would all be eager to reach, I have yet
> > to see anyone indicate that they're interested in this. So maybe it is in
> > fact not a goal. I don't know.
>
> I think it must be a non-goal for competing browser vendors. For a new
> browser, esp. bootstrapped in JS, it's a no-brainer.
>
> This suggest going bottom-up, not top-down: try to unify two, then
> three, subsystems. Don't multiply risk of independent events into a tiny
> odds ratio.

I don't understand how to do this in a backwards-compatible way. If we
slowly expose more and more resource loads to the ES module loader, then
pages that rely on what resources are passed to the ES module loader will
fail each time we add more.

(As a trivial example, consider a page whose fetch hook does nothing, but
where the page actually doesn't load any scripts so it doesn't matter. If
we then add style sheets in a later verison, suddenly no sheets load and
the page is unstyled, breaking the page.)