ES6 Loader proposed changes

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Sep 11 13:08:20 PDT 2014

On Wed, 10 Sep 2014, Rob Sayre wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 2:23 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> > On Fri, 29 Aug 2014, David Herman wrote:
> > >
> > > It's still not completely clear to me what your use cases are, so
> > > I'm not sure exactly how much user-visible API you need.
> >
> > My goal is to avoid browsers having to implement two dependency
> > systems (one for ES modules, one for HTML imports).
>
> Is that a goal? Browsers have a lot of dependency systems, not just two.

My hope is that we can "explain" all the dependency systems (HTML
documents that have subresources like scripts and style sheets and so on,
@imports and images and so on in CSS, HTML imports, ES6 modules, etc)
using the same underlying infrastructure. This would enable authors to
extend browser behaviours using a common set of primitives.

I must admit though that while I initially assumed that this would be an
obvious goal that browser vendors would all be eager to reach, I have yet
to see anyone indicate that they're interested in this. So maybe it is in
fact not a goal. I don't know.