import script --> .esm

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Wed Sep 10 10:33:19 PDT 2014

Matthew Robb wrote:
> I don't see why they have to? Traceur should be used as a build time
> tool that ultimately runs in legacy mode. Only REAL modern ES6 module
> implementations would run in this other world. Basically .es files
> today would be transpiled into .js files.

I doubt people will do any such thing. We can have more suffixes (I was
against .js2 in particular -- that particularly confusing proposal was
why I unleashed the Nope-topus), but if people can adapt their existing
practices with AMD/Require/CommonJS modules and use just .js, I bet they
will.

Tools will have to read metadata, tea-leaves, and etheric winds to keep
up. Same as ever.