import script --> .esm

Anne van Kesteren annevk at annevk.nl
Wed Sep 10 09:26:55 PDT 2014

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 6:23 PM, Matthew Robb <matthewwrobb at gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem is that there are now two distinctly different types of
> javascript file, some should be parsed as script and some should be parsed
> as module. Assuming everything is script that is not explicitly module would
> work but I don't see how you can accurately guess without some sort of hint
> that you need to parse as module.

I suspect the mode switching will happen on the client. E.g. <script
type=module> is one such proposed way. <module> (with various
unresolved XSS issues) is another.

Within the browser environment workers are another type of JavaScript
environment, although we do not parse them differently at the moment.
(There's a suggestion that service workers become strict by default
though so we can upgrade them to be modules more easily.)

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/