async/await improvements

James Long longster at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 15:53:02 PST 2014

On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 6:46 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 3:36 PM, James Long <longster at gmail.com> wrote:
>> `await` is *always* inside an `async` function so there's always a
>> promise created for that function which is waiting for it to be done
>> executing. That's the one I'm talking about.
>
> Okay.  That doesn't change my response.  The outer async function also
> returns a promise, and doesn't run syncly with *its* caller, so it's
> again physically impossible for it to throw an error at its callsite
> (again, unless *its* caller has opted into asynchrony and used
> `await`).
>
> ~TJ

Yeah, I'm only talking about call sites that used `await`. Although,
mainly the question is when an error happens inside an `async`
function, whether it throws at that point or passes it onto the
returning promise. You're definitely going to view that differently
whether you embrace promises or not.

But we may have gotten past the point of returns in this discussion.
Wish we could talk it out in person. :)

<3