Integrating the Webs' dependency systems

Anne van Kesteren annevk at annevk.nl
Thu May 29 08:24:00 PDT 2014

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 5:12 PM, Mark S. Miller <erights at google.com> wrote:
> That said, I'm not really sure what this argument is about. Should we grow
> the ES6 module loading mechanism so that it can better handle the loading of
> other resources beside JS code that is relevant to JS? Probably. Do we know
> precisely where we want to draw the line of how much loading logic is to be
> provided by JS and specced by TC39, vs provided by a hosting environment and
> specced by those that spec that specific hosting environment? Probably not.

Right, that is the issue. If you look at the web platform there's many
different types of resources. Images, style sheets, media, scripts,
... There's a couple of solutions being thought of for dependency
management, stipulated by Ian. It would be nice if we got to something
more coherent for web developers.

> But if the issue is of general interest across many hosting environments,
> then it should probably be handled by JS and TC39, rather than duplicating
> work among the hosting environment specs.

What other hosting environment has similar characteristics to loading
of web pages?

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/