Integrating the Webs' dependency systems

Kris Kowal kris.kowal at cixar.com
Tue May 27 09:20:58 PDT 2014

This is a great observation, often shared. I recall a related conversation
about a year ago, that echoed a proposal from Yehuda a year prior yet (to
which I hope Yeuhuda can exhume a link).

https://twitter.com/kriskowal/status/400703578605486080

And James Burke brought up some ideas on the topic.

https://gist.github.com/jrburke/7455354

It would be lovely if HTML could be trained to resolve URL’s through the
module system. The module system may provide a level of indirection, so
"x/y.css" might follow "x" into another package. Resolving ultimately to
URL’s allows, as Alex Russel insists, keeps the issues of resolution,
packaging, caching, bundling, web components, and service workers all
orthogonal. The issue of how to implement packaging and module identifier
resolution can, as John J. Barton points out, be left as a community
exercise in custom implementations of System, e.g., one compatible with npm.

Kris Kowal