Integrating the Webs' dependency systems

Garrett Smith dhtmlkitchen at gmail.com
Fri May 23 16:49:16 PDT 2014

> On Fri, 23 May 2014, Ryosuke Niwa wrote:
>> On May 23, 2014, at 3:14 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

Hi guys -

>> > - <script needs=""> in HTML
>>
>> Could someone give me a pointer about this?  This is the first time I've
>> heard of this feature.
>
> It's a work in progress, but the last public post from me about it was:
>

> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-whatwg-archive/2013Aug/0277.html

CoR meets browser resources.

That looks familiar! Especially Use-case U. See: "defer on style, depends".
http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2009-February/018439.html

The examples that appear linked to my prior site at dhtmlkitchen.com
are not available anymore, unfortunately. That was when I was using
Java, before it fell out of style. And incidentally, the CoR pattern
proposal was inspired by Apache Ant. (credit where credit is due).

And can we change "needs=" back to "depends="?

> The basic theme of <script needs=""> is making it possible for resources
> (probably more than just scripts) depend on each other and delay loads
> until they are needed. For example, being able to say "this script
> shouldn't download yet.

Shouldn't download or shouldn't be evaluated?

When it is needed, though, it should also download
> and apply this style sheet,

Stylesheets, too? :-)
--
Garrett