Integrating the Webs' dependency systems

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri May 23 15:42:52 PDT 2014

On Fri, 23 May 2014, Ryosuke Niwa wrote:
> On May 23, 2014, at 3:14 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> >
> > - <script needs=""> in HTML
>
> Could someone give me a pointer about this?  This is the first time I've
> heard of this feature.

It's a work in progress, but the last public post from me about it was:

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-whatwg-archive/2013Aug/0277.html

I'm currently going through feedback sent since then to work out how to
proceed in its design; that's what led me to looking into the HTML Imports
and ES6 Modules features.

The basic theme of <script needs=""> is making it possible for resources
(probably more than just scripts) depend on each other and delay loads
until they are needed. For example, being able to say "this script
shouldn't download yet. When it is needed, though, it should also download
and apply this style sheet, that image, that HTML Import, and that other
script, and then once all of those are downloaded and applied, it should
itself be applied". There's also related work into how to control the
relative priority of downloads (e.g. needed now, needed after things that
are needed now, not yet needed, not yet needed but may be precached).