Bytecode

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Mon May 19 10:20:24 PDT 2014

I take a more expansive view, because of evolution. JS and languages
that currently target it, and also languages that might in the future
target it, are co-evolving. They influence one another.

JS is growing SIMD and other lower-level APIs (perhaps even
ARB_compute_shader in a future WebGL iteration). Value objects for more
numeric types are coming.

Also, the Harmony era has JS as better target for compilers as an
explicit goal.

So it seems to me worthwhile to talk about certain "multi-language VM"
design issues. Bytecode in general, perhaps a standard, fast,
zero-verification AST codec format, seems fair game for es-discuss.

But I agree that putting the bytecode syntax cart ahead of the horses
(language designs and their semantic requirements) is a mistake. As
McCarthy suggested, there may be several concrete syntaxes. What's the
abstract syntax, and ahead of that, what does it mean?

/be