ModuleImport

Domenic Denicola domenic at domenicdenicola.com
Sun Jun 29 10:00:13 PDT 2014

On Jun 29, 2014, at 12:50, "Rick Waldron" <waldron.rick at gmail.com> wrote:
> Static analysis would be necessary if JavaScript ever wanted to make macros possible in modules. I don't have exact numbers nor have I done any formal surveys, but the general response to Sweet.js has been overwhelmingly positive. It would be a shame to close that door.

My understanding is that door is already closed, since we were not able to eliminate the global scope contour from modules (which is necessary to get completely-static knowledge of all free identifiers). Part of the rationalization for this was that compile-time tools (like Sweet.js) are working out pretty well.

See "Back to Static Checking" in http://esdiscuss.org/notes/2013-09-18