ModuleImport

Domenic Denicola domenic at domenicdenicola.com
Fri Jun 27 06:54:56 PDT 2014

From: es-discuss [mailto:es-discuss-bounces at mozilla.org] On Behalf Of Matthew Robb

> My opinion is that CommonJS and AMD work today and will continue to work into the future so we should optimize for the ideal "looking forward, not backward" case when adding to the language.

While this is a compelling argument in general, I am not sure it applies to modules, whose usefulness is based almost entirely on network effects. Indeed, the future we may be looking forward to is just one in which ES6 modules remain a [third competing standard][1] among the modules in the wild, and if they're sufficiently bad at satisfying existing use cases (as the rest of your message argues for), they will not compete very well.

[1]: https://xkcd.com/927/