ModuleImport

Sébastien Cevey seb.cevey at guardian.co.uk
Fri Jun 20 03:46:14 PDT 2014

On 20 June 2014 11:39, Axel Rauschmayer <axel at rauschma.de> wrote:
> > The `*' symbol universally represents a glob of "everything", but when
> > used to import from a module that has multiple exports, you won't get
> > everything, you will get either the single default export (if there is
> > one) or nothing.
>

> What gives you that impression? Quoting David’s original email:
>
> ```js
> import * as fs from "fs"; // importing the named exports as an object
> import Dict from "dict";  // importing a default export, same as ever
> ```

Ah my bad, I must have got confused somewhere along the thread. That
makes perfect sense to me too, ignore what I said.

> > As a final note, and at the risk of erring in the world of speculation
> > that Brendan fears, are we just sleepwalking towards pushing people to
> > work around the whole debate with the "universal":
>
> “are we just sleepwalking” – what are you implying?

Given what you highlighted above, there would be a native syntax to
give people the different cases they might need, so they would have no
reason to do other silly workarounds.

Thanks for the clarification, and apologies for my misunderstanding!

--
Sébastien Cevey
Software Developer

--

------------------------------
Visit theguardian.com. On your mobile and tablet, download the Guardian

This e-mail and all attachments are confidential and may also be
privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please notify the sender
and delete the e-mail and all attachments immediately. Do not disclose the
contents to another person. You may not use the information for any
purpose, or store, or copy, it in any way.  Guardian News & Media Limited
is not liable for any computer viruses or other material transmitted with
or as part of this e-mail. You should employ virus checking software.

Guardian News & Media Limited is a member of Guardian Media Group plc. Registered
Office: PO Box 68164, Kings Place, 90 York Way, London, N1P 2AP.  Registered
in England Number 908396