String.prototype.replace() problems with JSON.stringify() and serialization of Objects

Christoph Martens cmartensms at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 22:29:22 PDT 2014

On 28.07.2014 17:24, Rick Waldron wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 11:16 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky at mit.edu
> <mailto:bzbarsky at mit.edu>> wrote:
>
>     On 7/28/14, 11:09 AM, Rick Waldron wrote:
>
>          var y = x.replace('{{blob}}', function() {
>              return data;
>            });
>

>     In fairness, that's the sort of thing that gives off a "WAT
>     smell". Code like this without a comment that explains the
>     indirection is just asking someone to "simplify" it, breaking it
>     in the process...
>

> I don't disagree with your feedback, but JS has had special semantics
> for "$" (with ' or n) character in the replaceValue since ES3 (just
> short of 15 years). I didn't say that the solution was obvious, just
> that it required familiarity ;)
>
> Rick

Hey Rick,

To be honest, I didn't know the trick with the dummy filter function
returning the plain data. I expected that it was executed each time a
match was found (similar to Array filter functions).

I think for external guys writing JavaScript, the WAT effect is pretty
huge. Either we should change the behaviour of the parameters (which is
bad for legacy implementations) or the flags to disable it optionally.

As I wasn't familiar with the replace behaviour before, I would expect
the method to behave differently, depending on the arguments:

replace(regexp, string) -> parse string and see if $ is in there
replace(regexp, callback) -> callback is called each time regexp is matched
replace(string, callback) -> only called once
replace(string, string) -> called one time, using the first indexOf and
replacing it

~Chris