The "initialization" steps for Web browsers

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Wed Jul 23 11:18:45 PDT 2014

On 7/23/14, 1:29 PM, Allen Wirfs-Brock wrote:
> Earlier in this thread we were originally talking about "event handler content attributers" and the possibility of doing something in ES Annex B to help define them.  But if they are WebIDL exotic functions then maybe that doesn't make so much sense.

No, no.  They're actual honest to God ES functions.  You can get them
from page script and call them as functions, etc.  And we need to define
how those ES functions are created given the input, which is a string
for the function body.

It's just that during event dispatch they're invoked via a Web IDL
EventHandler which handles things like invoking their [[Call]] and the like.

> My sense is that what we are missing is an "architecture" that actually defines how HTML and ES integrates.

Yep.

-Boris