The "initialization" steps for Web browsers

Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at wirfs-brock.com
Wed Jul 23 10:29:39 PDT 2014

On Jul 23, 2014, at 9:52 AM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> On 7/23/14, 12:45 PM, Allen Wirfs-Brock wrote:
>> Yes, but how does that then map into the ES invocation model.  If even handlers are just ordinary ES functions with an ordinary [[Call]]
>
> They're not.  They're Web IDL callback objects constructed from such ES functions.  So this would be handled by http://heycam.github.io/webidl/#es-invoking-callback-functions and the "callback context" bits it talks about, I would htink.

Earlier in this thread we were originally talking about "event handler content attributers" and the possibility of doing something in ES Annex B to help define them.  But if they are WebIDL exotic functions then maybe that doesn't make so much sense.

>> I added [[HostDefined]] to jobs after we had a conversation that I believe was about maintaining a dynamic stack of script origins as code executes. At the time, you indicated tht you thought it was a sufficient hook. Do you still think that?
>
> I think so, yes
>
>> It's not clear to me how what we are discussing now relates to that.
>
> Me neither, honestly.  :(  There are too many pieces here, all of them changing in parallel, and I'm not quite sure how they fit together right this second.  :(  I'm hoping Ian is keeping track of all of them and will figure out how they interact.

My sense is that what we are missing is an "architecture" that actually defines how HTML and ES integrates.

Allen