The "initialization" steps for Web browsers

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Wed Jul 23 09:31:18 PDT 2014

On 7/23/14, 12:02 PM, Allen Wirfs-Brock wrote:
> No, synchronous dispatchEvent looks like it could just work depending
> upon  how the browser specific contextual state (origin, etc. scripting
> settings, etc. in the HTML spec.) is modeled.

It's modeled as "settings objects" (settings records, if you prefer).
Mostly.  "origin" and "effective script origin" are computed from stuff
in the settings record.

> If dispatchEvent is going to synchronously dispatch event handlers it may
> have to do browser context switch for each handler.  How does it know to
> do this?

Web IDL callbacks store the info they need to set up the call.

> Perhaps we also need a [[HostDefined]] field in Realm records?
> (Each function is associated with a realm, so it is a good place to put
> context that is shared by all functions for a specific realm).

In practice, each Realm has a unique global and the HTML spec ends up
hanging its stuff off there as far as I can tell.

-Boris