Why are Symbol.* all non-configurable and non-writable?

Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at wirfs-brock.com
Mon Jul 21 13:56:37 PDT 2014

Because somebody thought it was a good idea ;-) ...

On Jul 21, 2014, at 1:04 PM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> Is this meant to prevent people tampering with them?
>
> In that case, global.Symbol should also be non-configurable non-writable or something.  Otherwise you can just redefine it.

You're probably right that locking down one doesn't make all that much sense without locking down the other. We have a history of not make global object properties readonly/non-configurable.   There also may be configurability issues for dynamically created Realms that we'd want to think about before making Symbol readonly/non-writable.

Probably with some more discussion.

Allen