Specifying template strings

Axel Rauschmayer axel at rauschma.de
Thu Jul 10 09:03:27 PDT 2014

>> Yes. Naively, I’d expect the result of a TemplateLiteral to be a string. But I previously didn’t understand the difference between static semantics and runtime semantics. The indirection makes things more difficult to follow, but I assume it helps with writing the specification (given proxies, generators etc.).
>
> Static semantics is about things about or which can be derived from just the source code, independent of the actual execution of the code
> Runtime semantics is about what actually happens when the program executes and typically has dependency upon the runtime state of the program.

Yes. It’s quite clever how this attaches behavior to grammar rules (which initially confused me – I’m more used to runtime semantics referring directly to syntax).

It seems to me that part of the challenge of writing and reading the spec is that it has the complexity and structure of code, but without the support of code-focused tools such as IDEs. In an IDE, I’d simply click on an identifier to jump to its definition. Refactoring would also be simple(r).

--
Dr. Axel Rauschmayer
axel at rauschma.de
rauschma.de