Specifying template strings

Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at wirfs-brock.com
Thu Jul 10 08:48:00 PDT 2014

On Jul 10, 2014, at 7:17 AM, Axel Rauschmayer wrote:

> On Jul 9, 2014, at 21:41 , Rick Waldron <waldron.rick at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 11:25 AM, Axel Rauschmayer <axel at rauschma.de> wrote:
>> I find the specification of template strings still a bit difficult to understand:
>>
>> – The abbreviations TV and CV are used 12.2.9, but defined in 11.8.6.1.
>>
>> Did you mean TV and TRV?
>>
>> This is no different than:
>>   - String SV and CV
>>   - Number MV
>>
>> Which are all defined in Chapter 11
>
> Yes, I meant TV and TRV. I’d prefer these names to be longer. The short names are not very self-explanatory and finding their definitions is difficult, too (different chapter!).

TV and TRV for the template literal lexical components serve the similar purpose to that of  SV and CV for string literals.  They are intentionally defined using similar formulations and they belong in Chapter 11 because are part of the definition of the lexical mapping of source characters to token values.

I agree that the naming (this goes all the way back to SV and CV in the first edition) is not ideal and there is at least one bug on file suggesting an alternative restructuring of this part of the specification.  However, it's a relatively low priority cleanup that may end up not getting done for this edition.

Allen