WeakMap not the weak needed for zombie views

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Sun Jul 6 18:49:18 PDT 2014

On 7/6/14, 4:11 PM, Filip Pizlo wrote:
> My reading of the linked Mozilla discussions seems to be that some GC
> implementors think it's hard to get the feature right

I'm not sure how you can possibly read
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/mozilla.dev.tech.js-engine.internals/V__5zqll3zc/hLJiNqd8Xq8J
that way.  That post isn't even from a GC implementor and says nothing
about implementation issues!

I think that post presents the strongest argument I know against the
"use GC to reclaim your non-memory resources" argument, and the summary
is that while that approach looks promising at first glance in practice
it leads to resources not being reclaimed when they should be because
the GC is not aiming for whatever sort of resource management those
particular resources want.

-Boris