ModuleImport

Kevin Smith zenparsing at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 10:31:04 PDT 2014

> The arguments for and against supporting cyclic dependencies seem to be
> academic. I'm yet to see any evidence of their importance in practice nor
> proof they they are fundamental ... or not.

I wouldn't say that cyclic dependencies are academic, in the sense of "not
real".  If they are allowed by the language, they will be used.  I see them
in Python code and I see them in Node modules.  So unless you plan to
disallow them altogether, it makes sense to provide good support, all other
things being equal.

It's an edge case for the module system, to be sure, but we should expect
the module system to have reasonable coverage over the edge cases.