Specification styles

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Thu Jan 30 09:40:27 PST 2014

On 1/30/14 8:25 AM, Domenic Denicola wrote:
> since I find that style more precise and idiomatic

It's not clear to me that the former is true (and in fact, making sure
that an ES-style spec is not fundamentally buggy in the "doesn't have
the desired behavior" sense is _much_ harder than doing it for a WebIDL
spec, in my experience).

It's also _much_ harder to read and understand in my experience, and the
experience of many other people I've talked to.

I would be interested in knowing what aspects of what you want to
specify cannot be expressed in WebIDL + normal DOM spec style.....

> and potentially in the future streams could become a language-level feature.

Quite honestly, I would appreciate it if language-level features in ES
were not defined with as much error-prone and hard-to-read boilerplate
as they are now.

> Basically, I want to get ahead of the situation `TextEncoder`/`TextDecoder` find themselves in

What "situation" is that, exactly?

-Boris