Promise.cast and Promise.resolve

Forrest L Norvell forrest at newrelic.com
Tue Jan 28 16:03:26 PST 2014

In Haskell, 'flatMap' is the operation on applicative functors that
corresponds to the 'bind' operation on monads. Monads were introduced to
Haskell to provide a mechanism for doing effectful programming that
restricted the areas of danger around I/O, and the reification of the
underlying category theory in which monads are a specialization of
applicative functors only came later. Rationalizing all of that would
require breaking backwards compatibility of most Haskell code that depends
on the standard library. Scala wasn't stuck with this legacy, so they kept
the more general term for the operation.

'chain' is a fine name, especially because "monadic promises" work fine in
a language with type systems, but the JS version, when / if it comes, is
only going to be a distantly rhyming version of a monad, for reasons that
we've gone over to death in the past. JS should give names to operations
that will actually give people a clue to their purpose.