detecting JS language mode for tools

Kevin Smith zenparsing at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 19:13:42 PST 2014

>> Because it is js everywhere. Pick any file in an AMD/require.js system
>> and you can parse it.
>>

> ES6 cannot support require as a function that synchronously loads from the
> filesystem, and I think you know this.

Without a new extension, you cannot "import" from an old-style module in
the browser or the server.  One must know a priori how to parse the file
before one parses the file.  Old-style modules cannot (in general) be
parsed as ES6 modules, and ES6 modules (in general) cannot be parsed as
old-style modules.