detecting JS language mode for tools

David Herman dherman at mozilla.com
Mon Jan 27 10:41:59 PST 2014

On Jan 27, 2014, at 2:07 AM, David Bruant <bruant.d at gmail.com> wrote:

> Indeed. I'm wondering why we need inline <script> for modules.

Because people write inline scripts all the time. It's unacceptably inconvenient not to be able to bootstrap your app with inline code. It also allows you to control for when the scripts resource is there, in particular to be sure that necessary bootstrapping/kernel code has loaded before you need to do some wiring up of your app.

But it's not even worth overthinking. It's so obviously, obscenely anti-usable not to be able to write

    <script module>
    import $ from "jquery";
    import go from "myapp";
    $(go);
    </script>

inline that I'm surprised this is even a discussion.

Dave