Operator overloading for non-value objects

Domenic Denicola domenic at domenicdenicola.com
Tue Jan 14 12:20:39 PST 2014

JavaScript is in a sticky place, it seems. `===` should mean strict equality (modulo `-0`/`+0` and `NaN`, unfortunately), so just like `0 !== "0"`, we want `0 !== 0m`. That is, `===` won't be right for comparing numeric types, once we have multiple numeric types.

However, `==` already means way-too-sloppy equality: `0 == "0"`. Thus, even if we get operator overloading to give us `0 == 0m`, its usefulness is reduced, since we can't trust `==` unless we know both types are "compatible" (e.g. both numeric, or both immutable URL instances). An operator that is sometimes annoyingly sloppy, and sometimes usefully lenient, is going to be hard to use ("power users only").

What we're missing is the equality operator most languages have: neither too strict, nor too sloppy. One that gives `(0 op 0m) === true`, but `(0 op "0") === false`.

This could be achieved, I suppose, by allowing overriding of `===`. But is it OK for `0 === 0m`? Probably not, right? Especially since `0m` is a value "object", and we try to let `===` applied to objects mean reference equality.

So we're kind of screwed. We could always [927 it][1], and invent a new operator with the most useful semantics. (The return of `is`? `====`? `=dwim=`?) Alongside `==`, `===`, SameValue, and SameValueZero, that'd make 5 notions of equality in ES. Seems bad. I come back to my "kind of screwed" thesis.

[1]: http://xkcd.com/927/